Special Needs Coordinator
The Boston International Turner Syndrome Summit (BITSS) is an eight day residential program in Boston, Massachusetts for young women ages 12-19 who have Turner syndrome. BITSS’s mission is to bring these young women together for fun, enriching experiences that foster independence and community.
About the role
Special Needs Coordinators will help some of BITSS's participants access and take full advantage of the BITSS program. Typically, the participants who would benefit from the services of a Special Needs Coordinator are young women with Turner syndrome with social and/or behavioral challenges. All are capable of participating in the Summit and are important members of our community.
Special Needs Coordinators will collaborate with our mentors, who serve as role models and guides, to facilitate the benefiting participants’ full inclusion in the program. Each Special Needs Coordinator will work with up to three attendees.
BITSS is seeking one or two qualified individuals to fill this role.
Special Needs Coordinators must be available from Friday, July 27 through Sunday, August 6, 2018. This time period includes two days of orientation in advance of BITSS’s eight-day program.
- One year or more of experience working with special needs children
- Undergraduate degree or higher in special needs education or a related field
- Comfortable working with children ages 12-19
- Good team player
- Strong communication skills
- Dedicated to helping integrate young women of all abilities in fun activities and empowering meaningful discussions
- Familiar with Turner syndrome
- Has Turner syndrome
- Help keep special needs participants on task and work with them to facilitate successful participation in group discussions, group activities, and 1:1 interactions with peers, as needed.
- Ensure that special needs participants stay with the group and remain safe while navigating the Boston subway system, walking along busy city sidewalks, crossing streets, and touring local attractions.
- Help special needs participants navigate hygiene in the dorms.
- Help special needs participants prepare for their day, including ensuring that they are appropriately dressed for the scheduled activities (i.e. wearing proper footwear) and prepared for off-campus trips (i.e. properly applied sunscreen and a full water bottle).
- Help special needs participants in additional areas as needed.
All interested applicants must complete the BITSS Special Needs Coordinator Application below.